Mistborn: Rust and Ruin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From One Skaa to Another

2 posters

Go down

From One Skaa to Another Empty From One Skaa to Another

Post by Lena Vershmitz Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:06 pm

One night after her meeting with Epps and the team, Lena scrounged up some food and sweets and brought it to the tenement where Epps and Get lived. She had been there before and was familiar with some of the families there, though only the two rebel leaders knew she was Mistborn.  The children scarfed down the sweet treats as Lena watched with a smile.  

About an hour later Epps and Get returned to the hovel.  Lena was just finishing up helping the mothers get the children settled down for bed, wondering if she would ever have the time or the opportunity to have children of her own.  Lena nodded to the men then stepped back and let them greet the others.  She stood leaning against a far wall, waiting for an opportunity to talk with Epps, which came a few minutes later.

Her face hardened a bit in concern as she exhaled through her nose then looked Epps in the eye.

"Why them, Epps? Why a Terrisman, a noble, and a known conman?  And then our two unexpected guests."

She ran a hand through her auburn hair and sighed.

"Only one is even Skaa. How do we know we can trust them to do what's best for our people?  Do they even care about the skaa, Epps, or are they just looking for an excuse to cause trouble for Venture?"

Last edited by Lena Vershmitz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

From One Skaa to Another Empty Re: From One Skaa to Another

Post by The Steel Ministry Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:33 pm

Epps considers the question for a moment, passing the last couple of extra blankets out to a scrawny woman with a babe at her breast and fresh bruises on her face. He catches Lena's lingering look, and smiles as he waves to a set of rickety stairs in the back of the room.

"Come. Let's talk. Let the others sleep while they can."

Epps leads the way and the ever present Get follows, quarter staff thumping on the old stairs. Soon enough the group reaches a small loft area with large windows looking out over the city sleeping in its blanket of mist. The smell of ash and water, ever present in the city, is cleaner and fresher up here away from the filth of the streets and unbathed masses.

Apparently thinking they're safe enough with a Mistborn close at hand, Get takes a seat at a small table with four chairs around it, motioning for Lena to join them as Epps retrieves a wine bottle and clay cups.

"Why them? One might ask the same of you."

Get barked out a laugh, coarse but not unfriendly.

"Good question. What's a quiet little girl with sticky fingers who can impale a man on his coat pin doing working with us?"

Epps frowns as he sits, passing out the full glasses.

"That's not what I meant. Not exactly. You see we did quite a bit of asking around for each of you before sending out our invites. We were as thorough as we could manage, given the circumstances, but we were looking for very specific traits in our recruitment for this job."

Get nods along, growing serious.

"We wanted people who aren't afraid to look a Noble in the eye. We wanted people who have been beaten, but not yet defeated. People who are clever, resourceful, inventive, ambitious."

Epps cuts in.

"We wanted good people."

The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

https://mistbornrustandruin.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena Vershmitz Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Lena nearly spit her wine on Get as she laughed.

"I like that description!  It fits, though I have yet to try that coat pin thing... In all seriousness though, you both know me. I'm not a bad person and I never really hurt anybody, though there was that one time I managed to get the drop on you Get."

She playfully slugged him in the shoulder without burning Pewter. She then listened attentively as both men discussed how the group's members were chosen.  When they finished, she waited a beat, eyeing each man carefully, before speaking.  Her words were soft and slow but not accusatory in the least.

"And you believe these people you've found are good people, Epps?  Do you trust them, Get?"

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steel Ministry Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 pm

"Yes."

Epps responds almost before the questions are out of Lena's mouth.

"Lena, we have to trust people. There's simply no other choice if we want to change this world."

Get clears his throat, eyeing the Rebel leader.

"That said, we made sure none of them have Ministry or Venture ties before sending invites. I still don't like having the Puffball around. She's a walking liability, but I'll respect your crush."

The last is directed at a blushing Epps, who snaps his mouth shut before his protest can escape. Get smiles, draining his wine and refilling it.

"The girl is creepy, but what harm can a child do? If the Terrisman vouches for them, that's enough for me. I'm willing to let it play out."
The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena Vershmitz Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:07 am

When Get jabs Epps about Voïra, Lena's eyes and mouth both turn sour in disbelief.

"Seriously, Epps? You're willing to put this whole job at risk because you think she's cute?"

She laughs softly and shakes her head.

"Her Terrisman will never let you near her, you know that, right? As far as Sind is concerned, she is super creepy weird, but she seems nice enough."

Lena stood and stretched her neck with a sigh.

"If you two are willing to trust them, then I'm willing to trust your judgment of them. I just hope that we don't disappoint you."

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steel Ministry Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Get gives lena a sad look.

"Don't be so sure about their prospects, Lena. It's more rare, but not impossible for a noble woman to bed a skaa man."

Epps clears has throat, clearly embarrassed.

"We need allies, Lena. We may not always get first choice in terms of allies, but I really believe they all will help us."
The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena Vershmitz Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Lena gave Get a confused look.

"You look sad. Why does that make you sad? I didn't say anything about the fact that the cream puff was noble and Epps was not, just that her Terrisman seems extremely protective of her."

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steel Ministry Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Get regards her for a moment, then downs his remaining wine.

"Let's just say I have a colored past. It's a more or less open secret, but I used to be a nobles bodyguard."

He fixes a steady eye on the young mistborn.

"Most folk dont know it wasn't just any noble though. I was head of Abelond Venture's personal guard."
The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steel Ministry Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Get regards her for a moment, then downs his remaining wine.

"Let's just say I have a colored past. It's a more or less open secret, but I used to be a nobles bodyguard."

He fixes a steady eye on the young mistborn.

"Most folk dont know it wasn't just any noble though. I was head of Abelond Venture's personal guard."
The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena Vershmitz Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm

The Mistborn's mouth opened in a surprised, silent "oh" as the Pewterarm spoke.

"I...see..."

She looked from Get to Epps and back again.

"So, this Venture thing is personal then?"

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steel Ministry Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Get pauses for a moment before replying.

"No. Venture are a clear obstacle. I'm just here to keeps Epps alive long enough for our plans to bear fruit. Part of why I wanted to hire a crew is to keep it from being personal."

Epps nods along.

"It was a long time ago at any rate. Get has proven himself dedicated to our cause and knowledgeable in ways we desperately need an expert. Why when we first met he saved me from ministry assassins!"
The Steel Ministry
The Steel Ministry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lena Vershmitz Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Lena nods and addresses Epps first.

"Even if it was personal, I would understand and still be willing to help. Sometimes we need a personal catalyst to get things started."

Turning to Get she adds with a playful smirk.

"Ministry assassins, huh? As in more than one? I could probably learn a thing or two from you, old man."

Lena Vershmitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum